How to create a Learning Lab, create Learning Lab Nodes (Virtual Machines), and connect to them.
To build a new Learning Lab please follow the steps below.
Step 1: Sign in to your instructor or staff Classroom Virtual Desktop
For additional help with Classroom Virtual Desktop read: Launching Classroom Virtual Desktop for the First Time.
Step 2: To launch Learning Lab Builder, double click the Learning Lab Builder icon (formerly Sandbox) in your Classroom Virtual Desktop.
- Click on the Learning Lab (formerly Sandbox) tab on the left-hand side of the interface.
- Click New Learning Lab (formerly Sandbox). Add a label and click Save. - This may take a few minutes to save.
Step 3: Add Nodes
- Once your Learning Lab is created you need to create nodes based off one of the available base images in Learning Lab Builder
eLumin provides a service catalog of base configurations including, but not limited to: Windows Server 2012/2016/2019, CentOS, Ubuntu, Kali Linux
- To create a node click on the drop-down for Machine Image and select a base image. Please give the node a name. You may add multiple nodes with different base operating systems into the same Learning Lab.
Once you are done click Save Learning Lab (formerly Sandbox) to ensure your configurations are saved, then you can click Create Instances to initiate the creation of your environment.
- Your node(s) may take several minutes to become active. While these nodes build, you may perform other actions in the Learning Lab Builder. After a couple of minutes, you may return to the Learning Lab listing to begin adding software and configurations to your lab.
Step 4: Log into your Nodes.
- Depending on your node operating system, you can Connect via Remote Desktop interface or Secure Shell (SSH).
- Once you click Connect you will be provided temporary credentials to log into your builder node.
If you wish to proceed with installing software and configuring your Learning Lab, please see customizing your lab.